ANTIMANICS

on 26.2.07 with 0 comments



LITHIUM is a monovalent cation that is given by mouth, for 1-2 weeks, to alleviate manic phases of manic-depressive syndromes. Mechanism attributed to competition with socium in channel activity, and in turnover of CNS transmitters.


“Sometimes if I look at myself, it seems to me that I get this manic behavior. Like the other day I was at an airport in Milan, there were these carts all lined up in an engaging mechanism and there was one Euro on the side and I picked it up, you know I don’t want to pay the tab, and I put it in the slot to get the cart. When I put the cart back, I took thirty steps and then the idea came that the reason I found the Euro there is that they give it back to you, the Euro is to make sure that you bring back the cart! So I ran back and grabbed that Euro! My wife says ‘This is manic behavior!’ And I say ‘You must have Euros growing out of trees, I’d rather have it.’ So all of us have some manic behavior, but if you indulge too much, the physician may give you Lithium.”


Lithium is hardly a drug, because you have to take grams; very large amounts. It is said to compete with Sodium and therefore decrease the nerve excitation. “So I’ll see you next time.”

Category: Pharmacology Notes

POST COMMENT

0 comments:

Post a Comment